Thursday, September 4, 2008

Please pray for my sister!

Normally, I don't get on here and blog about my sister and all the health problems she has been facing lately but now is an exception. It would take a novel to explain everything my baby sister has gone through in her life. She is only 30 yrs old. She had two liver transplants by the time she was 12 years old. The second one she had was during my senior year of high school in 1989. She and my dad barely made it home and out of the hospital that spring for my graduation. My mom had to work and hold down a job while my dad's employer allowed him to take off work and stay with Alicia up in Pittsburgh at Children's Hospital. Shortly, before the second transplant she developed a B-Cell lymphoma cancerous tumor. A side effect from her anti-rejection medications. She went through radiation,chemo and two long years of Alpha Interferon injections to shrink the tumor long term. For the past several years she has had good health. Good enough that she had gone back to college to get her degree in the recording industry. She went to Johnson Bible College then transferred last year to M.T.S.U and loved it. I was just so proud of her! She was leading a somewhat normal life. Slowly over the last eight months though she had been having health issues that we knew might become somewhat worse in the near future but were praying for the best. Since the middle of July she has been in the hospital no less than 4 times due to these complications. She is going to have to be put back on the waiting list for a third liver transplant and was undergoing evaluation at Vanderbuilt Medical Ctr these past two weeks. She underwent a heart cath procedure ,had a scare with her breathing in the night and had to be put in I.C.U for 4 days. She is still in Vanderbuilt and is undergoing heart surgery in the morning(9/4). This is very scary for us and I know for her....They need to remove a extra sac on the heart(they believe caused from radiation she recieved when she was 10). They cannot do this the normal way they perform the surgery which is splitting the breast bone and then removing the sac/fluid because she had developed staff infection due to an infected mediport. The mediport was surgically removed and she has been on very high doses of I.V antibiotics for 15 days. They are going to go up through the naval and up to the heart that way. She will then be in the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit for a few days and possibly on the ventilator. Normal proticol after your body has been through such a trauma as this surgery. She will be having this surgery in the morning sometime and we are asking for everyone to PLEASE keep her in your prayers.I am trusting in the Lord but I'm also human and very scared. Alicia is only about 4'11(the medications she was on as a child stunted her growth) but she has the biggest heart for people,her family and for the Lord of anyone I know. She is a great aunt,sister and daughter and I by far think God has alot yet to do with her life here on earth. If you got this far in the novel then I appreciate you taking the time to read about my sister. Please pray and I will try to give an update at the hospital on my laptop. I have some wonderful friends out there and I am so thankful for all of you!~God Bless~

*Alicia,Cassidy&Catherine at the girls dance camp this past July*

3 comments:

Hanne said...

Alison,

I am still praying for your sister!

Hugs,
Hanne

The Knight Family said...

Oh bless her heart. She has had such a hard life. I remember her 1st transplant when were in middleschool. I will definitely be lifting her up in prayers. keep me updated on her condition!
~Cindy

Anonymous said...

I have been trying to get ahold of you since you went down to Nashville over the weekend. I didn't realize you had gone back. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE know I am here for you ANYTIME you want to talk. I am praying so hard for your family. I love you Alison. Keep me posted whatever way is convenient for you. I don't want to add any more stress for you. Do you need me to help out with Catherine? Tell Chad to call me & she can come stay with us until you get back...WHATEVER you want me to do.

My Music Playlist